Tuesday 16 June 2009

Get content now!


Today's 'Times' has an article that talks about the 'sense of contentment' that we now so often lack and how this contributes to a broken and downhearted society. Contentment, or santosha in yoga terms, is a precious state of being. Try recalling a time when you felt a deep sense of gratitude or appreciation or care for someone or something.

This could be something as simple as a walk along the river, like the one I took with my husband last weekend. We saw this beautiful swan with her goslings enjoying themselves in the sun. For a few precious moments, she let me be. She let me intrude on their moment and take the photo you see here. She could have easily attacked me, as in her eyes I was behaving in quite a threatening way (poking my camera at her beautiful offspring), yet she allowed me to be there. I was filled with appreciation for her, her chicks, for the time I had in that moment with my husband.

Take yourself back to your 'moment in time' now and notice how easy it is to feel content (in fact try not to feel content!). And when you are back there now feeling that sense of appreciate and gratitude, notice how your breathing is and notice how full your heart feels. If we truly want it, we can have santosha (contentment) whenever and wherever we want. Perhaps we should try not to look so hard!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Creative Commons License
Embodied Being Blog by Sue Tupling is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 2.0 UK: England & Wales License.
Based on a work at embodiedbeing.blogspot.com.
Permissions beyond the scope of this license may be available at http://www.changeworkscom.co.uk/http://www.changeworkscom.co.uk/.